Monday, January 19, 2009

So he's black...

There's been a lot of hype and excitement about our new President. He's the First Black President of the US of A. He's done it, he's broken the barrier!

So?
Sure, it's great... but ... "he's just this guy, you know?"
Fans of Douglas Adam's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" will recognize that quote and it's significance and I invite anyone reading this to go fin out for themselves what it means.

Let me just say up front:
I'm not making a racist statement in any way. My point is that it doesn't matter if he's Black or not. The fact that he's dark-skinned has nothing to do with how he will perform. Everyone's acting like they won millions in the Lotto, whe really it's more like a $20 scratch-off... it's great, sure,

But what will he do for us?
I know someone who's father used to tell her, "That's my milk, I bought it, I'll drink out of the carton if I want. When you buy your own milk, you can drink from the carton all you want." So, the day she got her first apartment and bought her own milk guess what she did? Drank milk from the carton! Most people would have done it once or twice and thought, "OK, well I've done that" and moved on to other things... not her, she still drinks from the carton.

The facts Jack!
The fact is... it was only a matter of time before we had a black president. We have, or have had, black senators, black governors, black Heads of State and Cabinet members. Really, it's old news... time to stop drinking milk from the carton and move on! Only time will tell if we didn't just make another mistake. It's possible too that GWB could have done a good job if anyone had let him. I admit he did some dumb things and there was no end to things people could find to make fun of him for, but really he had too much opposition for anything he tried to succeed. Maybe he had other plans, and maybe he thought he was "doing the right thing." I'll tell you this though, no one is going to like any politician who does what's actually best for the country and I hope people give Obama the chance to "do the right thing". I also hope he's strong enough to "do the right thing" no matter what the short-term public opinion of him might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment! I moderate all comments so if you want to be linked, be sure that your comment is relevant and positive.